A leading U.S. provider of advanced network communications, Windstream Communications offers cloud computing and managed services to businesses as well as broadband, phone, and digital TV services to consumers. To meet customer expectations for exceptional service, Windstream relies on a variety of critical business systems, including customer data, order entry, and billing. To keep these systems running at peak performance, IT requires comprehensive, up-to-date information on the assets and topology of the enterprise network, which includes about 3,000 physical and virtual servers spread across five data centers.
BMC Discovery automatically captures comprehensive detailed asset and dependency data across the entire network. That data is aggregated in BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (CMDB) and leveraged for more efficient incident, problem, change, compliance, and service request management processes with Remedy Service Management Suite.
Highly efficient scans run daily, collecting server, storage, network, and applications data and provide robust, up-to-date information on how these assets support the business.
- Network topology data provides insight into the impact of incidents and planned actions across the network.
- Usage data enables IT to avoid disruptions to employee activities with scheduled actions such as server updates.
- Automatic detection avoids three to four days of manual research to track down and validate servers.
- Quick identification of outdated software and operating systems enables IT to keep systems current and delivering high-quality service.
- Accurate vendor true-up reports take minutes to generate instead of days.
“BMC Discovery shows us how maintenance on one server might affect other servers. That visibility helps us handle maintenance within a very tight window, so that critical systems are available when our employees need them.”— Daryl Klingensmith, System Manager III, Windstream Communications